• This is an image title
  • This is an image title
  • This is an image title

To acquaint yourself with the different activities at our Branches,
click here

Honouring a Veterans is our Duty!

What to do in case of the death of a Veteran?

1. Royal Canadian legion

If the Veteran is a member of the Royal Canadian Legion, notify his Branch of his death (See the list of Branches in the right column, select the name of his Branch to have access to the coordinates) so that :

  • A tribute may be paid to him according to the wishes of the deceased and the family(Click here to have access to the publication « Ritual, Awards and Protocol Manual », chapter 7 « Legion Funerals »).
  • The Branch may notify its members of the passing of the Veteran.

2. Canadian Armed Forces

What do I do when a Canadian Armed Forces Pension Plan member or annuitant dies?

When a Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) Pension Plan member or pension recipient dies, the Government of Canada Pension Centre must be notified immediately.

If your spouse or common-law partner was in receipt of a CAF pension, it is important for you to provide the Pension Centre with the following information in order to cease his/her pension and to apply for a survivor and/or child pension:

  • The full name of the deceased
  • The name and contact information of the executor of the estate
  • The pensioner's Social Insurance Number (SIN), Pension Number or Service Number
  • A copy of the death certificate and Will
  • The name and contact information of the surviving spouse or common-law partner (if applicable)
  • The surviving spouse or common-law partner's birth certificate and SIN
  • The name(s) and birth certificate(s) of any eligible children

Becoming a survivor—Survivor/child(ren)—Canadian Armed Forces pensions

Click here to learn about the types of survivor benefits available to eligible survivors and children of Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) Pension Plan members and pensioners.

3. Veterans Affairs Canada

► What do I do to report the death to Veterans Affairs Canada of a Veterans Affairs Canada pensioner?

Contact Veterans Affairs Canada at:

  • 1-866-522-2122 (toll-free) Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 4:30, local time.
  • Please have in hand the PENSION NUMBER ID.

Click here, to find out more about:Benefits for Survivors (of Disability Pension Recipients).


For more information please call 1-800-565-0701.

Our Branches

Click on the Branch of your choice for more information...